Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Sawtooth Ridge between Mts. Evans and Bierstadt

I began guiding in 2006, and though it's proven to be a good moneymaker, it's also snapped up many of the few chances I get to get out to the peaks. That's partly my decision. I just don't want to be away from my young children for the time it takes to climb (last week, as an example, when I guided Pikes Peak, I left the house at 2 a.m. and didn't get back until 9 p.m.).
But today was special. I got to do a difficult climb with two of my hiking partners, Brant and Julie Alley, who climbed more than half of Colorado's 54 14ers with me (and were the two who were there with me on the day I finished them).
I hadn't done anything this hard in three years. That was also partly my decision. A lot more is at stake now.
I hadn't done anything with Brant and Julie either. They just moved back this year from Arizona, so that's partly why, and they're also trying to knock off all the 14ers on their own.
Bierstadt and Evans are two of the easiest 14ers on the list of 54, but when you link them together with the Sawtooth Ridge, well, that changes things. I used to do routes like the Sawtooth all the time, and this probably ranks as only my 50th hardest climb, but it was still a challenging, hard day, and I'm pooped.
Here, just check out the photos and see what I mean. I think they're worth a look.

Mts. Evans (14,264) and Bierstadt (14,060

No comments: