Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Beginners luck at the Mookie...aka waiting on a house...aka I'm a nervous little rascal

That title is a tribute to the blogging world's rising star, Iakaris, who generously railbirded me with buckets of good advice at the final table of the Mookie.

The encouragement was much needed, given that I was in a tournament with bloggers for the first time, which is something like going from fighting guys in Iak's medical school Chemistry 678 class for a long time to facing, um, Mike Tyson? (The old Mike, the badass one, not the ear biter, although even that version of Mike could put a world of hurt on me, to be honest; I'm a lover, not a climber, or something like that).

Thanks also go to Drizz and Slb as well.

I would link y'all but I don't have my linky HTML thing here at home, and it's 11 p.m. and I haven't heard about our offer on a house yet so I'm a little cranky. Bitchy, even.

I am proud of the way I played, but I would also like to say that having, say AA and then flopping a set and having someone else flop an underset, shall we say, helps a little. Pushing with JJ when you are on life support and getting a call from 6,6 and then flopping Quads, shall we say, helps. Having Will, whom I love, push with A,J on the short stack and having A,Q winking at me helps, and having 7,7 hold up against A,K helps too. So lady luck was not only on my side but in my damn bed last night demanding I put out for the fourth time in an hour. And she had huge boobs.

I may have done better had I not gotten too frisky with Q,J sooted and K,9 os near the end there, trying to be the bully I know I should be with a big chip lead but can just never seem to manage the right spots to do so. But it's all good, I made the money, and the money, even last money, is better than bouncing on the bubble.

I will have to play more blogger events, as they are a blast.

• • •

Complicating things a bit is the fact that we were supposed to hear about our offer by 9 p.m., and it's 11:05 p.m., which is definitely not 9 p.m. That's OK. We're only talking about our fucking life here. I'm guessing they want to counter offer, which is fine, we can deal until the sun goes down, except it's far down now.

• • •

Tough workout tonight. Six three-minute runs, with three sets of two three-minute runs back to back and a three minute rest in between sets. I ran them at about a 6:30 mile pace each, and so my leg cramped up at the final table, which is something I've never seen before on ESPN.

Speaking of which, were you gagging as much as I was when Dutch Boyd on this week's show gets his whole sob story about making the final table but never winning the big one? And then him squawking about how great he was and that no one can beat him even though he was playing against the WORLD CHAMP (the last great one anyway, not our current douchey)? And then ESPN stating for like 10 seconds in passing that he tried some venture and "a lot of people were upset at him?" Way to report the shit out of that ESPN.
Sigh.

Yuck. Yuck yuck yuck.


Here's to final tables, final offers and one final stretch before I hit the hay.

9 comments:

TripJax said...

Love the ending of the post. Nice job on the poker and good luck with the offer...

WillWonka said...

Nice going last night. I definitely need to see you in more of these so I can my chips back ;-)

The Poker Enthusiast said...

Great job last night.

slb159 said...

Nice work. Glad you found the thing. It was well worth it I'm sure as they ARE always a blast as you said.
See you at the tables.
Oh, I'll be playing the Michael Woods celebrity event on Hollywood tonight if you're interested.

mookie99 said...

Thanks for making it out to The Mookie last night and congrats on making the money on your first try.

Dave said...

Chalk up a score for the Colorado blogger! Grats on your cashing at the Mook. Hope to play in that one next time.

Fuel55 said...

Wasn't criticizing your play in either hands 1 or 3 peaker - just that I was unlucky in both. The real criticism was aimed at AL. Since you like Shawshank redemption I will link you under blogs of note on my blog. Would appreciate a reciprocal link.

Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

Sorry I am 8th to this party, brotha. Great run in your inaugural Mookie. It took me like ten to final table and about 20 to win, so you are a savant. Congrats!

I laughed my ass off when you called out Fuel in his comments section cause ya sounded just a little defensive, Peak. The guy you were talking to has won about 70 open field MTTs and plays 3/6NL as a warmup for his 5/10 games, so he knew exactly why you called him. If you aren't reading Fuel regularly, you should. He's one of the few out there who I can point to as a guy who has definitely improved my game.


Congrats again, I am not surprised in the least.

Unknown said...

I agree, I overreacted a bit there. We've made up and linked each other as a sign of peace and prosperity.