Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Don goes down tonight

"It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business."
— Michael Corleone


I've come to know Miami Don these last few weeks, and I really like the guy. I really do. He's a good virtual friend. He's an University of Missouri graduate, but even then, he's a good guy and an interesting character.
He also knows his poker.
Hence this post.

I like Miami Don a lot. He's one of the guys I really want to meet when I finally make it out to a blogger event this winter.
But tonight he goes down.
It's not personal. It's strictly business.

Don cannot, must not and will not make the FInal Table of the Mookie tonight, folks.
Don, like me, is mostly a cash game player. He's a brother. He's a Big 12 guy.
But enough is enough. He's dominating too many blogger tournaments. We're all pretty good players, except maybe for Waffles. (Ha ha ha ha ha, just kidding you little psycho elf). Don won the Mookie two weeks ago, a long overdue win that I railbirded and rooted for. Then he won again, and while I was a little jealous, I was impressed. He beat perhaps the toughest Mookie field ever, and he did it back to back. Amazing.

But then he beat the Hoy, even if it was a three-way chop.
And we can't have a three-peat in the Mook.
Tonight the Don goes down.
Let's get that sucka.





It's not personal. It's just poker.

• • •


BABY UPDATE:
The twins are more than 4.5 pounds. EACH. So Kate is carrying around almost 10 pounds of baby. And she may still have a month to go. We're both feeling the strain. She isn't sleeping much but is hanging in there and doing a great job. It seems amazing that having twins might be easier once they're out, but that might be true.
For her, anyway.

I have cancelled the money baby contest due to a lack of interest. It's now free. Email me your guess at dengl5@earthlink.net and I'll buy in the winner in a tournament of your choice, $11 max. Fuel and Tripjax have guessed. Why not you? Or you can leave me a comment with your guess.
Remember, Kate is due June 3, but most twins don't arrive on time. Many arrive from 33 weeks to 38 weeks. Kate is now 31 weeks.
If you're one of those twins bloggers, I could give you a gift certificate to Target or something for some diapers?

• • •

My faith in humanity, or at least huge media conglomerates, has been temporarily restored as Oprah has selected
"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, one of my favorite books in recent years, as her book of the month.
It deserves it.
I'll admit an odd and kind of creepy fetish for nuclear war and doomsday stories. The idea of society being blown to pieces somehow fascinates me in the sense of how our world could be turned into a lawless place where the strongest survive. The thought terrifies me and also makes me curious.
Weird, I know.
So this book is about exactly that, and yet, it's not. Here's a description:

"The father and son move through the ruins searching for food and shelter, trying to keep safe from murderous, roving bands. They have only a pistol to defend themselves, the clothes they are wearing, a cart of scavenged food—and each other.
Awesome in the totality of its vision, The Road is an unflinching meditation on the worst and the best that we are capable of: ultimate destructiveness, desperate tenacity, and the tenderness that keeps two people alive in the face of total devastation."

This book is a classic, and I would love it even without my strange fetish. Enjoy.
And see you tonight at this:

6 comments:

Stacie said...

May 28.

Of course, I can't win ANYTHING, so that is basically the one day you can guarantee not having new arrivals.

If you like the doomday-only-the-strong-can-survivw stuff try 'Dies the Fire.' It is total trash, but it is fun, if a story wherein most of humanity dies can be called "fun."

Fuel55 said...

Love it!

Congrats on good continued progress with the twins too.

Jordan said...

June 25th

Dave said...

Hey - if you still want to play poker - my old gang is playing this Saturday in Greeley around 7pm-12am. If interested let me know and I can get you in. Dealers choice - low stakes. BYOB and favorite munchie. The host will provide something to eat as well. Warning, we're just a bunch of old farts (45-55) so you'd be the youngest one there.

Jordan said...

WOw i really put june 25th? I must have misread =/

Dr Zen said...

Twins easier when they come out? Oh dear. They get easier after about eighteen months. Good luck!