Sunday, June 06, 2010

Tri-ing something new

I gazed around the hardbodies. Not in lust. In anxiousness.
But I was determined not to let it get to me. I was at the Greeley Triathlon Sunday morning. And this was supposed to be for fun.
I was determined to keep my competitive nature in check. That's easier said than done for me. But I had to this time out of necessity. A lot of these people were going to be better than me.
Many weren't going to be me on the 5K, even with the concessions I was making because I knew I'd be tired. I was hoping for 24 minutes. That's a decent 5K time in a triathlon, especially on a tough running course on a hot day.
But the swim?
Ha. Ah. The swim.
I do not swim. This is not a mantra. It's a fact. If you tossed me in a pool, I would survive, and I enjoy our neighborhood pool as well as any Dad who likes to see his kids burn their energy and maybe sneak glances of the college girls and their bikinis. But actual swimming? Well, I'm not Michael Phelps. 
Water is kind of scary, and open water is even more frightening. It's generally colder and much, much deeper, and there's something unnerving about swimming in something where you can't touch bottom.
But honestly Sunday, as I approached the mat, in my frogskin wetsuit (borrowed from someone who CAN swim), I reminded myself to have fun. 
And I did have fun.
I loved it.
Unfortunately, I did not have the strength to swim the full 500 yards like a real swimmer. I had to "backstroke" sometimes. But I did make it out. When I approached the transition area to get my bike, I was stuck with a new feeling: Nearly last place.
I hopped on my bike and started to burn. And then I got a little sick. Oops. So I had to back off and just rode a hard 12 miles.
The run was the run. I can do that. I passed at least 20 people on the run and ran a respectable 24 minutes. I'd hate that time for a normal 5K. But I usually don't bike and swim before them. 
I'm posting this now, and I don't even know my time. It wasn't recorded by my chip, so I had to get it by hand, and I won't know what that is until it's posted on the Web site.
And for the first time in a long time, I don't even care.


5 comments:

The NL Wife said...

You did it!

BadBlood said...

Pics of said hardbodies in tight swimsuits please. kthxbye!

BadBlood said...

Wait - just the girls.

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Am I the only hater?

First off, welcome to the world of multisports. So much more fun.

Dude, 24 min 5k at the end of a sprint tri is NOT respectable. Set your sights higher please. I say this because I know you can do it. Come on man.

Cindy Dallow, PhD, RD said...

I'm so proud of you for doing the tri, Dan. And glad the swim wasn't a problem. You did great but please, can you take the bad luck charm back??? No, can we just throw it in the lake, along with all the other debris I saw in there?